Did anyone hear the Zu room at CES/THE 2011?

I did. The first time I listened, they were playing the giant $45k (Dominance?) speakers, biamplified with a pair of Pass Labs XA30.5s. I thought they sounded excellent. Then I went back, and wasn't so impressed witht he sound. I saw that they had replaced the Pass with a 2.5 Watt SET amp (I think the internal sub was still powered by a Pass). To me, the life, energy, resolution, and naturalness just wasn't there. At least one other person there who had heard both said he preferred the tube amp, saying it "made him feel more connected to the music." I wanted to say, "No, the king is naked! You're just saying that because you think you're supposed to," but I didn't. I recognize that he may have heard something I didn't. Apparently, others thought the same as him, because they left the tube amp in for the rest of the show. So my question is, was I the only one who thought the Pass sounded better?
honest1

Showing 3 responses by honest1

Just for perspective, what rooms did you like at CES/THE? My favorites were Hansen and Tidal.
I found the DeVore room interesting in that he was playing a new, unusual sounding speaker. When playing a certain type of music, I guess you'd call it ragtime maybe? Early 20th century style folk music, they sounded quite realistic, but with other types of music, didn't sound very good at all. I suspect they had colorations that worked well with that type of musical recording, but showed themselves as colorations on other types.
Team - I agree on the Tidals, and they were playing some really good music, and seemed to enjoy playing my music. I listened to the orange Vandies, but they were playing them so loud, I couldn't stand it. Even when they lowered them, I thought it still too loud to really form an opinion. Where the heck was Green Mountain? I've wanted to hear them for years, but have never had the chance. I would have made a point of seeking them out if I had known. The Maggie room was defintiely memorable - more resolution and control than anything I've ever heard. They were playing symphonic / piano music that would sweep up into a giant crescendo, then stop. The way the reverb continued on after teh sudden stop of the main sound was like nothing I've ever heard. I don't think I could love them, though. I suspect the sound I was hearing from them at CES would have become fatiguing after a while, but it's hard to say. Very intimidating room; I didn't dare ask them to play my plain old CD. Were they using hi-res digital?
MaHughes - I took a look around here and the Zu site but couldnt' find anything. What happened? Do you have a link?