Diamond drivers

Out of curiosity I was wondering why diamond speaker units seem to be on the rise. Brands like Marten Design and B&W and many more are selling speakers with diamon tweeters. So what does make a diamond tweeter so good? Or is it just marketing hype. Although I doubt Janzen en Accuton are just making diamond tweeters for marketing reasons.

Yesterday evening I spend two and a half hours listening to the new Raidho D-1 speakers, they use a ribbon tweeter and a diamond mid/bass unit. I have to say this is the best monitor speaker I have ever heard. It is also a 17.000euro monitor speaker so for that price it better be very good.
mordante

Showing 2 responses by bo1972

I can give you an example. The 800 diamond series compared to the Monitor Audio Platinum series. The Monitor Audio with there ribbon tweeter let you hear more information than the diamond tweeter of B&W. It makes depth even more easy to get. At the end it is about the quality and resolution you can hear! There is a big difference in filters they use and make.
You are right about the pleasant sound of the Diamond tweeters. But there is more than only the tweeters. The biggest problem B&W has is that they still not make great filters. Wenn you do a test for depth and how wide the stage is, B&W is quite poor. This was the main reasson why I did not want to continue with B&W. I owned the 802N and 800S. The new series still have this problem. Depth ann a wide stage are one of the most excitings parts of highend audio. Wenn this is not that exeptional good, you miss a lot of excitement during listening to your favorite music.