'Diamond' cantilevers: a man's best friend?

An increasing number of cartridge manufacturers is offering models with 'diamond' cantilevers at the top of their range, generally priced at the wrong side of $10k. The price hike compared to - otherwise identical - models with boron (or other) cantilevers runs in the multiple thousands.

Can anyone explain why? Is this just an artificial price point to emphasize exclusivity or does it have to do with material or manufacturing cost, even if there's not much material to begin with? And speaking of artificial, are these cantilevers made from 'real' diamond, or some industrial type? Are all diamond cantilevers created equal or do we see a variety of diamond-like materials sold as 'real' diamond? And what about the rare 'one piece' diamond stylus/cantilevers used in a few vintage cartridges (Sony XL-88D, Dynavector, Kiseki Lapis Lazuli); are these new top dollar diamond cantilever cartridges (like some Koetsu's, Ortofon MC Century, Transfiguration Orpheus Diamond, etc.) of the 'one piece' type? And if not, what is the presumed advantage compared to ruby, sapphire, boron or any other cantilever materials? In short: does anyone know what the 'diamond' cantilever landscape really looks like?

And finally the really important question: do 'diamond' cantilevers - all else being equal - offer superior performance that would begin to justify the price difference? Has anyone done the required comparative listening?

PS: a have a nice collection of MC's with a variety of cantilever materials: sapphire, ruby, boron, aluminium, beryllium, or some combination of materials. But not 'diamond' (real or otherwise), so I'm curious to find out if I'm missing out on something.

edgewear
@chakster 
Thanks for the tip, will keep an eye on that one. I have two MC's with 'gemstone' cantilevers: Klipsch MCZ-10 (ruby) and Ortofon MC-5000 (sapphire) and both sound excellent in different ways.

What I would like to know is if these recent 'diamond' cantilever MC's have something to offer that set them apart, not in dollars but in sound.

Interesting, i also have that Klipsch Ruby and Ortofon (but MC2000:)  

chakster

Try Dynavector KARAT 17DS from the 80s, this is the most affordable MC with Gemstone cantilever, very nice cartridge!

That was a good cartridge more than 35 years ago. Today, I'd rather use a new Dynavector 17DX.

Indeed! Both these systems - as well as several others - have reinforced my opinion that not much real 'progress' has been made in the sonic capabilities of MC cartridges, despite all the claims to the contrary.

I reference my growing 'family' of vintage cartridges to two top level 'modern' systems: Transfiguration Proteus and vdHul Colibri XPW Blackwood. To my ears all these systems are part of the same 'level playing field', each with its own particular strenghts (and weaknesses).

No matter how hard I try I'm not able to hear the 'worlds apart' improvements that modern MC's are supposed to offer. Maybe my hearing is inadequate, maybe my alignment skill are or maybe, just maybe we're being taken for a ride.....