Diablo 300 vs Luxman 590AXii with Sopra 3

Hello folks, first post, and not a knowledgeable audiophile.  I have a home under construction that will have a 40' deep by 30' wide primary living area with 19' ceilings, basically an open living/dining room bleeding into a kitchen.  I bought a pair of Focal Sopra 3s to fill the room with respectable sound, while maintaining the aesthetics/decor that kept everyone happy. I"m considering a Luxman 590AXii or a Gryphon Diablo 300 to drive the Sopra 3s (and single REL S812), and wanted to hear from anyone who might have first hand knowledge with this amp/speaker combo.  I'm looking for very good two channel sound, but again, I'm not an audiophile, not swapping components, cables etc looking to squeeze every last drop.  Just looking for a very solid, respectable, set it and forget it high-quality system.  Source will likely be the Lumin T2 DAC/streamer.  Thanks for any thoughts or advice.  

128x128fastdiablo

Showing 3 responses by fastdiablo

Definitely going integrated amp for flexibility.  I am curious about the 30W Luxman being enough power due to larger room size, but I hear it's a beefy amp due to it being Class A.  I don't have expertise on if it's enough power.  Open to thoughts on that topic.

Regarding adequate bass: I have a single REL S-812 to support the two Sopras, and if necessary could add a second S812 for stereo subs, but i'm staring with 1. I hope to have bass needs covered with the single REL.

Regarding adequate power at 30w:

I talked to a few Luxman dealers yesterday to get their take on the adequacy of power to drive the Sopra 3s in a big room.   In short, it sounds like the 30w refers to the Class A power only, but the amp generates more like 100W per channel.  None of the dealers had any concern at all that the 590AX would be adequate, which made some sense to me if this is their flagship integrated.  I called Luxman in NY directly, and was blown away at how rude and unhelpful the guy was that answered.  Even though the number I called at Luxman was for "Sales", he refused to answer even a basic question regarding power, which is fine if that's not his role, but the rudeness was a real turn off when trying to spend 10K on an amp.  

If anyone is interested in better understanding the power of the 590AXii, I found this lab analysis and write up.  Page 3 has the "Lab Report" info on the power which was in line with what the dealers were saying: 

@carlsbad  I took a look at the Pass Int-60.  Beautiful amp. I found it interesting Pass claims 30W of Class A, 60w A/B.  Remarkably similar spec to the Luxman 590AXii, but these two companies apparently take a different approach to stating power.  I also looked at the PASS INT-250, but got universal agreement the voicing with my Sopras would be a mismatch.  In fact the only consensus I've really gotten so far on voicing is on the Luxman or a warm tube option from McIntosh or Primaluna.  I'm leaning hard to solid state.