Describe the "new HiFi sound"?

Recently had a discussion with an audio friend over the word "musical" and what this word means to each of us with regard to sound from different amplifiers and speakers. Some debate too.  And, reading this other comment on Agon once in a while...how some equipment has the "new HiFi sound".  

ASK: 

Can someone describe this, in your words, what is the new HiFi Sound to you?  Examples? Or, opposites of the new HiFi sound, what does this sound like?

decooney

In my case, when I slowly migrated through 70s-90s velvety sounding mosfet solid state amplifiers I then moved towards EL34 / KT88 ultralinear and other triode tube amps still holding some of that same type of familiar golden era velvety sound. Speakers are all over the map. I’ll won't digress into a rabbit hole too much.

Later I jumped into newer generation point-to-point wired mono tube amplifiers with modern transformers and KT150 output tubes, a more ’linear sound" or new "HiFi Sound" comments started to surface in different tube amp forum circles.

I probably align with prior posts about how more clarity, transparency, and resulting detail could be characterized by some as being a new/different type of sound compared to the older "golden era" days of equipment and HiFi sound.

Fortunately, keeping preamps / amps / tubes / speakers of both types around.

Thanks for the fun and interesting replies so far - keep them coming folks! 👍

Never knew there existed a "new hifi sound"...what do I know...I'll keep my "old hifi sound" thank you very much...😁

Well, the so-called youngsters believe that anything older than themselves is garbage and needs to be redesigned and redefined. The poor manic depressives, they have my sympathy. They need to get a life and stop being so introverted.

@gryphongryph

Its fact that vinyl has surpassed CD sales and fact that people born after 2000 (or late nineties), and to people who were born and raised with the CD vinyl is new. My teenager was watching an old movie with me and when they played a record in a scene he was shocked, "What’s that, how can that play music"? (he is so used to have a screen or an LED display):

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/riaa-vinyl-units-surpass-cds-1234693223/

Musical is a useless term. It means I like it.

New Hi Fi Sound is an oxymoron. The goal of hi fi is reproduction of live sound. Live sound hasn't changed. So there can't be new hi fi sound.