DEQ2496 - Jitter issue

Dear all,
I am using a DEQ2496 and I would like to better understand jitter issues. This device is equipped with an auto-sync function which should auto synchronize the DEQ2496 with, e.g the digital source through the ESB/EBU input. Let's imagine that I have enough money :) to buy an Apogee Big Ben that I would fit between my CD drive and the DEQ2496. I suppose that my DEQ would be synchronized with the big ben on a very stable and accurate frequency, the jitter should be minimised and the internal clock quality (quartz) of the Behringer not an issue. Am I wrong?
Could this noticeably improve the sound quality or is the direct ESB/EBU connection between a good CD drive and the DEQ good enough (The DEQ being synchronized with the drive clock)?
dominique_tanguy

Showing 2 responses by shadorne

I'd suggest to get something like a Benchmark DAC1 on lone froma guitar or music store and experiment. There are so many variables that it is hard to say whether you have jitter or not. For sure it could be a problem depending on your gear, connection, power etc. Jitter is audible but in most decent modern gear there will not be a "night and day" difference - subtle differences in teh treble or lower midrange more like.
Surprinsiggly, I found that the DAC 1 was not sounding as good as the analog output of the DEQ.

Then I think you have nothing much to worry about.