Denon DVD-5910 Transport for a DAC???

I recently had problems ordering a dedicated CD player which left me with what I believe is a better opportunity to improve my system ad hoc, primarily improving the DAC of my CDs without buying a dedicated CD player. This would allow me to upgrade transports later on down the road (from the Denon DVD-5910 to something else).

My basic question is this, considering jitter, what component/components would I need to attach to my Denon being used as a transport to make it a top notch redbook CD player.

I do not know a great deal about DACs, but I can spend a decent amount of money. Do some DACs include buffers which re-time the digital signal to eliminate the jitter caused by transporting it from the Denon DVD-5910 to the actual DAC unit.

What do I need to know in order to set up something that would offer superior/superb sound quality (or is the Denon DVD-5910 with its dual differential top of the line Burr-Browns in CD stereo mode enough???)

I have read about the dCS timing mechanism which re-times signals. Do some units include this in their DAC box or am I stuck going with more than one unit in order to eliminate most of the jitter into higher end DACs.

Any help on this topic, even to clear up misunderstandings would be appreciated. Any advice at all on alternative methods, or on whether I should just consider a dedicated unit is also welcome. Ultimately I want my system to be as upgradeable as possible over the years.

The rest of my system components are the following:
Bryston SP1.7 PreAmp/Processor
Bryston 9B SST
Denon DVD-5910
B&W 802Ds for front left and rights

Thanks for any time people put into helping me out.
jkalman

Showing 2 responses by branimir

I will try to help... Best solution would be to go for Theta Generation VIII/Compli combo( then, simply sell 5910 ). Esoteric D-70 and Weiss Medea are working best with their own transports. 5910 has only coaxial digital output which is limitation. Lavry DA2002 could work as well as Nagra DAC. Other thing is that all DACs that you mentioned are way better IMO than other members of your current system. Auditioning some of them in your system is a must for you. There is excellent thread 'Reference DACs' started by Teejay-check it out!
Jkalman-The best possible thing is in-home auditioning of gear that you are interested in. You need to find out for yourself what works best in your system. Honestly, I think it is a waste of money to add DAC to 5910. This is the reason that I suggested Theta combo to you.
Regarding the magazines-IMO they have small influence on final choice of equipment( at least in my case )-our ears and preferences shoud be the final judges.