Denon DVD-5910 Transport for a DAC???

I recently had problems ordering a dedicated CD player which left me with what I believe is a better opportunity to improve my system ad hoc, primarily improving the DAC of my CDs without buying a dedicated CD player. This would allow me to upgrade transports later on down the road (from the Denon DVD-5910 to something else).

My basic question is this, considering jitter, what component/components would I need to attach to my Denon being used as a transport to make it a top notch redbook CD player.

I do not know a great deal about DACs, but I can spend a decent amount of money. Do some DACs include buffers which re-time the digital signal to eliminate the jitter caused by transporting it from the Denon DVD-5910 to the actual DAC unit.

What do I need to know in order to set up something that would offer superior/superb sound quality (or is the Denon DVD-5910 with its dual differential top of the line Burr-Browns in CD stereo mode enough???)

I have read about the dCS timing mechanism which re-times signals. Do some units include this in their DAC box or am I stuck going with more than one unit in order to eliminate most of the jitter into higher end DACs.

Any help on this topic, even to clear up misunderstandings would be appreciated. Any advice at all on alternative methods, or on whether I should just consider a dedicated unit is also welcome. Ultimately I want my system to be as upgradeable as possible over the years.

The rest of my system components are the following:
Bryston SP1.7 PreAmp/Processor
Bryston 9B SST
Denon DVD-5910
B&W 802Ds for front left and rights

Thanks for any time people put into helping me out.
jkalman

Showing 1 response by aplhifi

What you really need to ask your self is how to de-jitter the 450pS jitter that comes from the actual clock in the Denon 5910. All the processors decoding CD, DVD and SACD are clocked off this clock. Super Clock (any version) will not solve this as it just replaces the crystal reference. Further more, whatever de-jitter device you might use between the DSP and DACs will also not help the above problem. The DSP clocking has to be addressed first and then clocks and data sync devices can be used between the DSP and DAC for even better results.

Actually, the Denon 3910 and 5910 have one of the World's best re-clocking device called Analog Devices 32 bit floating point DSP. This DSP is not only re-timing everything, but also manages bass, attenuation and delay for all channels, as well as HDCD decoding and Digital Filter for the top line custom Burr-Brown DACs built specially for Denon. No other company can offer you those DACs and you can’t buy them anywhere else, except from Denon. Of course, there are other DAC solutions that I would personally prefer over Burr-Brown.

As you can see, you wish has already come true in your Denon 5910, but it still does not sound the way you'd really like, right?

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to email me.

Regards,
Alex