Denon DP-60L vs Technics 1200 MK III

Hi everyone,
I’d appreciate your opinion on the matter. I’m returning to albums and I’ve decided to purchase a good turntable, in the price range of $500-$600. I have a couple of cheap ones already (Technics SL-23, Realistic LAB440) but there’s nothing exciting about them.

I really do like the Japanese style and looks of the mid 70’s - early 80’s so that’s why I’m singling out the Pro-jects, Rega and so on.

I have a chance to buy either a Denon DP-60L or Technics 1200 MK III. Both in near mint condition.
The Denon is just a beautiful machine, the Technics is a classic. Right now the Denon has a new Rega Carbon cartridge (new) and the Technics a Shure cartridge - middle of the road, nothing too expensive. As far as arms - both of them have stock arms, the Denon has the straight arm, and does not come with the extra S arm.

In listening tests I get gorgeous bass and very clear highs (Maybe a tad harsh - new cartridge) from the Denon, and beautiful rich mids mainly from the Technics. Add a little treble to the Technics and it’s just right.
I love the fact that parts and upgrades for the Technics are easy to find, where all the electronics of the Denon scare me a bit, after reading how hard it is to find any parts.

I've done a lot of reading on both this weekend and I think the majority out there with choose the Technics, but still - the Denon is gorgeous... however - I’m leaning towards the Technics. By the way - I'm getting a better price on the Technics. As far as value - I really want a keeper for a while, so resale value is not as important.

What would you do? (Please don't say "but both" because I can't afford to)

Thank you for your help!
yyman23

Showing 2 responses by sfall

If you are looking for that style off TT, look a the Reloop RP-8000 and the Pioneer PLX-1000. I like the fact that the Reloop has a straight arm. A lot of audiophiles are using the Pioneer. Both TT's are within your budget new, and you can get either one at Guitar Center. Denon just released the new Prime series TT, but it sells for $900. If you can afford it, the Denon appears to be worth the extra money.
" What I'm looking for is quality at a budget, from a vintage looking table."

That's what I was trying to recommend. I don't read reviews, but I know the Pioneer has gotten some rave reviews from high end audio publications.