Denon DP-60L vs Technics 1200 MK III

Hi everyone,
I’d appreciate your opinion on the matter. I’m returning to albums and I’ve decided to purchase a good turntable, in the price range of $500-$600. I have a couple of cheap ones already (Technics SL-23, Realistic LAB440) but there’s nothing exciting about them.

I really do like the Japanese style and looks of the mid 70’s - early 80’s so that’s why I’m singling out the Pro-jects, Rega and so on.

I have a chance to buy either a Denon DP-60L or Technics 1200 MK III. Both in near mint condition.
The Denon is just a beautiful machine, the Technics is a classic. Right now the Denon has a new Rega Carbon cartridge (new) and the Technics a Shure cartridge - middle of the road, nothing too expensive. As far as arms - both of them have stock arms, the Denon has the straight arm, and does not come with the extra S arm.

In listening tests I get gorgeous bass and very clear highs (Maybe a tad harsh - new cartridge) from the Denon, and beautiful rich mids mainly from the Technics. Add a little treble to the Technics and it’s just right.
I love the fact that parts and upgrades for the Technics are easy to find, where all the electronics of the Denon scare me a bit, after reading how hard it is to find any parts.

I've done a lot of reading on both this weekend and I think the majority out there with choose the Technics, but still - the Denon is gorgeous... however - I’m leaning towards the Technics. By the way - I'm getting a better price on the Technics. As far as value - I really want a keeper for a while, so resale value is not as important.

What would you do? (Please don't say "but both" because I can't afford to)

Thank you for your help!
yyman23

Showing 1 response by jimpittsburgh

Please let me know if you ever decide to sell the Denon. I have a 60L that died due to an unobtainium chip... It was by far my favorite table.... many came and went over the years, but I always kept the 60L .... I'd like to restore it.

Thanks