Denon DL-110 HOMC

I’ll preface with, I’m still very new. I think I’ve learned something, I see 50 comments disagree online & smoke comes out my ears.  I have a Denon DL-110 HOMC cart.  It says it’s 1.6mV which is supposedly the same as a MM.  I was just going to start with a Schiit Mani (& Loki to make up for a little hearing issue) & move up as my system & understanding did.  But, they’re endlessly back ordered so, I cancelled.  Annoying.

Here’s where I’m getting confused:
1) For that output, many threads say just put it into a MM phono
2) Many say “Nope” it’ll always be muddy
3) It seems that many MC phonos will ONLY work with LOMC & state acceptable mV’s-but some threads say it doesn’t matter, use it anyway.
4) Configuring & additional “response curves”.  I see many that “configuring” is almost select MM or MC. I saw an iPhono that had more option brackets than March Madness. As a newbie, what’s enough/overkill?  I’ve seen some that have rc label varieties like rock, classical, live. On the surface, that’s appealing because sometimes/some albums I just need to make up for some of my hearing.

As always, I really do appreciate all the teaching.  Flogging & condescension... not so much.
tochsii

Showing 1 response by bpoletti

The phono input differences are really about cartridge output matching.    

Generally speaking, the MC phono inputs are for low output cartridges, the MM phono inputs for high output phono cartridges.  The DL-110 is a little light at 1.6mv for a MM input, but shouldn't really present much of a problem as far as gain is concerned.  There may be some factory loading associated with the MM inputs, but that won't be of any significance with a DL-110.  The DL-110 is a pretty good cartridge for the money.  

If you like the way Schiit electronics sound to YOU, then don't worry about what others think.  It's ALL about what you like.  Get what you like best that fits in your budget.