Denon DL 103r What Preamp or Step up

What preamp or step up are you using, including input (14ohm) loading / matching, to get this baby to stand up and sing it's heart out?. Any specific recommendations?
jomoinc

Showing 1 response by jomoinc

OK, Here is what I am trying. Its what I got, so here is where I am starting on my quest. Join me on my adventure in maximizing the DL-103r starting on a humble but very functional Rega P2 as a base line before moving to the King of turntables, the Mighty Garrard 301 set up and tricked out by Norwegian Wood.

Background: I've read twice already (and will again until I fully understand) the article in the library at the Vinyl Engine called "Step-ups and MC cartridges : The secrets of a successful marriage". It relies primarily on the author's technical interpretation and was something to glean more out of at a future date. Very right brain to us bilexic's (people who are able to access both sides of the brain but ultra rarely at the same time). Then I read the tnt-udio.com/accessories/mc_3xfr_e.html " Three Moving Coil Transformer Shootout Test" using one of the Jensen models, one from Lebong Audio (think Auditorium 23) and an amorphous core unit from Tribute Audio. Being a DYI speaker builder I loved the approach and language. Much more tangible to my left side neuron mass.

Any way, on to the item at hand. Plug it in and check it out. The Ortofon step up transformer has the following "specs". Remember Ortofon is from Denmark so the only info I have is in that language.This Ortofon has what they call a "pick-up impedans" listed at 3ohm with a, get this, "gangsbelastning" or output load listed as 47kohm & 100 pF. Then Denon DL-103r has an "electrical impedance" listed as 14ohm (+/-20%). I have not yet figured out the relation or corelation but after reading the TNT article I was ready to try it.

So I installed my DL103r onto my bone stock RB250 attached to a bone stock Rega P2 plugged in the Ortofon step up and got a serious hum. I then ran the grounding terminal on the step-up to the grounding terminal on my preamp and suprise suprise, the hum totally disappeared! And so the music started to flow. So as of this post, I now have two hours total on the cartridge. Already on acoustic guitar and vocals the sound is very musical. More later as it happens. After more breakin time.

Separately I am burning in the transformer by running a tape output from a receiver (tuned to a 24hour jazz station) to a hagtech reverse RIAA and then into the step-up to log the large amount of hours it takes to fully break in the transformer.

Any one else actually using this cartridge to good effect?
Let's hear what you are doing...
Enjoy your music...Shama
Jon