Denon DL 103R vs. AT OC9 - MLII

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two MC carts? Based on specs, the AT appears to be slightly more compliant and have slightly more output. I'm also wondering if the AT's stylus shape would make it a bit quieter in the groove?
roblanger

Showing 3 responses by mapman

I'm using a DL103R on a Linn Basik arm on a Linn Axis table.

On paper, the Basik appears to be a tad light for the DL103R, but in practice, the fact is the sound is quite excellent and the best I have ever managed out of the Linn Axis table, smooth and detailed top to bottom with very good weight and impact in the low end.

To me, it sounds competitive with most any phono setup I've heard in recent years, so it is a combo that I can recommend based on experience.
Rob,

Yes, I took a small chance with the DL103R based on what I read about it and the price, but it paid off in spades. I will probably never leave this cartridge. Just goes to show that you never know for sure until you listen.

There are also simple DIY tweaks to tonearm mass I have read about here and considered trying, but frankly, I have not been motivated to experiment because things sound really good the way they are. Maybe someday....
"now I've got to go out and pick up some booze"

That is the ultimate "tweak"!