Denon DL-103 "one of the...."

Is the Denon DL-103 one of the greatest cartridges of all time?

Influence?
Longevity?
Price/Performance?
Sonic achievement?
Conical Stylus?

This thought was brought on by Lebron James claiming he would be on the Mount Rushmore of NBA players. So my friend and I discussed what that criteria would be. So, I applied this thought to cartridges.

I do not have an extensive experience with many cartridge varieties, but thought about what attributes make a cartridge an all time great. Out of all that I have had the 103 just seems to hit most of the marks.
enobenetto

Showing 3 responses by enobenetto

I agree with MattMiller and Vridian, along with having the same positive attachment to this cartridge as everyone else. Matt isn't wrong with how the compliance and stylus can be a drag, but in regards of what Vridian posted, when following the carts requirements it simply is outstanding. Rega is not for 103 or 110 without mods. It's tonality is second to none. When i put it on an ESL-2000 (mass of 27 grams) and got the VTA locked it slayed everything I tried before. The 103, 103-LCii, and 103R all have the same house sound. The 103's conical stylus is a masterwork. I get plenty of detail from this "lowly conical stylus" it has led me to believe that not all conical styli are the same, or the motor and the stylus need to be matched.

I had the 110 and if I listened to exclusively electronic music that would be my cart of choice (although it's good at everything else). The transients are so fast on the cart and the highs are very extended, yet the mid-range is a little thin compared to a 103.

This discussion would never come up if it wasn't for the fact that it has been in production for 50 years and the 103r can be had for less than $300. This makes it an all time great period (.)

I'd like to do what others have done and get it retipped and nuded to be put in an ebony body for my next step. I like the house sound so much that I would rather refine it than change. Does the retip lower the compliance so it won't be usable with a heavy arm any more?
No one claimed to be an "expert" just fans. I'm simply impressed by this "old style" cart and how long its lasted and still purchased by many still. I took my "gear chip" off my shoulder along time ago, because I don't have the money to be considered an "expert". Never mentioned Ortofon Blue and won't write that it isn't as good because I have never heard it. I'm just happy that the 103 is still around.
Phduncon,

I thought an indicator of higher compliance was a lower tracking force? So if the retip lowers the tracking force doesn't that raise the compliance? Not being well versed I think I am missing something obvious or key to the conversion.

Any light shed on the subject would be appreciated.