Denon DCD A100

I'm looking to upgrade my two channel SACD player. Currently my two channel system has a Marantz SA 803 for SACD. I had started a thread on this recently, but that was just before the Denon player has been slashed in price from $2500
10 $1500 by Music Direct and other sellers.
There are virtually reviews of this player anywhere. Nor is the Denon Web site very forthcoming with information.
My concern is that since Denon and Marantz have the same parent company, these may be very similar players. My issue with the Marantz (I think) is with the Cirrus Logic chip used in the D-A processing. It is kind of "soft". I don't want a bright, in your face sound with to much detail, but the Marantz is just to laid back, and the music tends to lose some vitality.
Has anyone heard the Denon? Do we know where they get their D-A Chips
( Denonweb site not helpful here at all). Can anyone compare the two players?
richardfinegold

Showing 2 responses by ricktpt

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this Denon 100th Anniversary player. I have owned a 1520 (sold it to a trumpet student-he still has it-I replaced the belts) and bought a mint (supposedly shelved) 1560. It works great unless I let it sit for too long a time w/o playing it. (Won't read disc...) If I tap it gently, it works fine, so I think it might be a laser transport issue. Both machines outperform each of these machines I bought 2nd hand to challenge it:

CAL Tercet Mk. III
Sony DVP-9000ES SACD/DVD
Sony 5000ES Blu-Ray (bought new)
Various other tweaked 90's machines based on the "Mod Squad" platform.

I've got over 2K CD's and I'm really pleasantly surprised by how tough these vintage Denon machines are to beat. It's very highly detailed, but not overly analytical (to my ear) and the Bass dynamics/Voltage swings (RED book) run away with everything else I've personally thrown at it. My Analog setup is a VPI HW-19 Mk. IV/SAMA/SDS on Cones with the shelf on Navcom. Sumiko MMT/Blackbird and the 1560 is the only digital source I have that comes close in the audio realm. TIA for any constructive advice!
I pulled the trigger on one from MD on closeout and it's the best CD player I've ever heard, including the ones I posted on above. It also doubles as a D/A. Killer single box player.