Denon 3910 or Denon DVP 3910

Hello
I am considering purchasing a Denon 3910 something(DVP?) and not too sure if this is the SACD version.My research hasn't proven that these are one in the same.My plans are to have it modified by APL.Can someone help? I have read so much about the APL modified Denon players but this has stumped me.I don't want to buy the wrong one to modify.Also,I have heard Denon has a checkered past with reliability.Have anyone experienced any problems with their Denon? Thanks in advance!

Regards
Chuckie
chuckie

Showing 4 responses by warrenh

I on the other hand believe going with a "mod" is the best way to go. First and foremost is finding a reliable modder with a known rep. I'm waiting on delievery of my Emexexmplar 3910. Surely, superior to the 3910. Once you listen to the Exemplar you realize that you have moved way up to another level. Now, the good part is that should your modder develop some new upgrade? You can get them done for a very cost effective price. It will be much easier to stay in front of the digital eight ball. I had to sell my Prima. Audio Aero wouldn't talk it back to put in their latest and greatest transport, nor their new electronics. Had to sell on the 'gon and purchase something new. Hence, the Exemplar. Sure you could buy three 3910s for the same price. Just something to think about. I'd save your money and do some homework on the APL, Exmemplar, and Dan Wright. All these guys do 3910 mods, that leave the origninal in the dust.
Chuckie, if this thread goes by the way side drop me an email in a few weeks and I'll let you know the scoop....peace, warren :)
Chuckie, do your homework on all the mods you're thinking about, as well as talk to audiophools who own them. You can always call 711smilin. Steve has owned all of them and can give you the scooop on each. Bottom line: he'll tell you that they are all wonderful, but for his money the APL reins. I can give you the name of others who have experience with all of these and found the Exemplar reined. There go I, because of that homework. While John, obiously, loves the APL, there are ooldles who love Dan Wright's and John Tucker's mods. At this level you're talking: preference, not "better." Selecting one? A real high class problem you got there. Others should be so lucky. peace, warren :)
John Tucker, the Exemplar man himself, is recovering from a bad car accident. He won't be back at his bench, I'm told for about 6 weeks. I believe he has people doing the work? Not really sure of much. peace, warren :)