Denon 3910 or Denon DVP 3910

Hello
I am considering purchasing a Denon 3910 something(DVP?) and not too sure if this is the SACD version.My research hasn't proven that these are one in the same.My plans are to have it modified by APL.Can someone help? I have read so much about the APL modified Denon players but this has stumped me.I don't want to buy the wrong one to modify.Also,I have heard Denon has a checkered past with reliability.Have anyone experienced any problems with their Denon? Thanks in advance!

Regards
Chuckie
chuckie

Showing 1 response by sdcampbell

The two units you mention are the same thing. The full, correct model name is the DVD-3910, and it is a universal player.

The 3910 has not been on the market for terribly long, so it's a bit early in the model life to judge its reliability. I have been using my 3910 for about 9 months and it's worked fine.

Before you decide to send your 3910 off for a "mod", spend a month or two listening to it first. It's got excellent sound quality, and you may find that you'd prefer to spend your money on more SACD's, or to upgrade some other item in your system.

Although you didn't ask for an opinion on the subject of "mod's", I am of the school that believes that mods are not a particularly good investment. For the cost of an expensive mod plus the price of the equipment, I think you are usually better off to simply buy a much better piece of gear. For the cost of the basic 3910, plus one of the $1500-2000 mod's, you can instead buy the Denon 5910, or a comparable unit by Marantz, Sony, etc.