Denon 3910 or Denon DVP 3910

Hello
I am considering purchasing a Denon 3910 something(DVP?) and not too sure if this is the SACD version.My research hasn't proven that these are one in the same.My plans are to have it modified by APL.Can someone help? I have read so much about the APL modified Denon players but this has stumped me.I don't want to buy the wrong one to modify.Also,I have heard Denon has a checkered past with reliability.Have anyone experienced any problems with their Denon? Thanks in advance!

Regards
Chuckie
chuckie

Showing 2 responses by puremusic

Chuckie, Technically, the APL 3910 is not a mod of the Denon but Alex's redesign. It uses only the Denon's chassis and transport, everything else is replaced: DACs, clocks, transformers, power supplies, RCA connectors, etc. Alex uses a tube output stage and adds a hybrid attenuator that allows you to go straight into the amp for improved sonics. So, if you don't need the preamp for anything else, you can sell it to help finance the APL. The end result is one of the best CD players on the market, in a league that is way beyond the Denon 5910 or comparable units.
Chuckie, The level of success of "going direct to amp" depends in part on the output stage of the CD player. I've had no problems with the APL 3910's output stage driving my interconnects. I will now either sell my Jadis JP80 preamp or demote it to my second system. A number of other APL owners have reported on the APL forum that they are also going direct to amp successfully. If you decide to get the APL 3910, you could try going direct to amp. If that won't work for your set-up, you can then buy a preamp.