Denon 3803 + vs Rotel or B&K receivers

I am close to purchasing a new 3803 Receiver to control my home theater and replace my Adcom 545 based Stereo system.
I'm estimating usage at 40:60 (stereo:theatre) & room large 25x22x18.
Speakers are all Mirage, M-7si mains, OM-C2 center and OM-R2 surrounds.
Sources are Nakamichi MusicBank CD, Phillips Q-50 DVD (both with coax digital outputs).
Video is Satellite (& Cable) on the Sony XBR 40" HDTV.

I am considering getting the Denon now and possibly adding a multichannel amp later if needed. I also very much like the sound of the Rotel 1065 and B&K 307 receivers as well but they do not compare with the Denon for features, flexibility or processing power. Also, I have not heard any of these receivers with my speakers since they have been discontinued.
So I guess the questions are:
1) how does the new Denon 3803 with it's SuperSharks & BurrBrowns stack up with the other receivers on sound and
2) can the Denon as a preamp with a decent (~$800?) outboard amp best the B&K or Rotel and
3) do my speakers dictate one receiver over another.
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. ...aeg
au_man

Showing 4 responses by jcl6688

You can't beat the Denon 3803 with all its bells and whistles. I am currently using the Denon 3803 in conjunction with a Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 Amp. I have my Paradigms biamped to the Signatures. I think my Paradigm's needed more power than the Denon could provide. Having been a previous owner of various receivers and amps (B&K 202, Marantz SR18EX,19EX, 7200, MA500, Yamaha 2095) I have been really impressed with new Denon's features. As a pre-amp it has been wonderful for both movies and 2 channel listening. For 2 channel listening, the pure direct mode is the the best.
Wow is right!
The Denon 3803 in my opinion is a better unit than the Denon 3802. The pure direct mode on the 3803 is just awesome. Also, the new dac on the 3803 made movies sound just a tad bit nicer. Of all the different amps, receivers, I would love to have tried out a Rotel. Anyhow, I have been really satisfied with my Denon 3803 as a pre-amp. Perhaps down the road I would like to try out a dedicated pre-amp(B&K).
EandJ,

Does the VTF-3 comes with a detachable power chord? You may
want to try a premium power chord. I've owned a B&K AVR 202 in the past. The B&K sounded awesome for musical pieces (piano) but sounded a tad bright for vocals coming out of the center channel (Paradigm CC). The B&K also needed lots of ventilation space. My Denon 3803 and HK Signature 2.1 stays cool no matter how hard I drive it. Hopefully one day I could afford to try all B&K separates. (Reference 50 and 7270)
Eandj2000,

The Virtual Dynamics Power 3 chords seems to have lots of good reviews. I am waiting for my VD 3 to arrive any day now. I will let you know if it adds any improvement to my NHT subone.
Ah! the quest for better sound. I think today's receivers do sound just as good as some separates. When I had my Marantz SR-18EX, my friend and I did a comparison to his Stratos and it was really a close call. I guess the upgrade bug in each of us makes this such an expensive yet fun hobby.