Denon 2900 and Dacs

Please excuse me if this is a silly question but I haven't a clue in regards to Dacs.
How do the Dacs in the Denon 2900 player compare to any of the outboard dacs like the Benchmark Dac 1 thanks in advance.
koiman

Showing 2 responses by snipes

I finally pulled the trigger on an external DAC for my 2900. I bought an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and am anxiously awaiting it's delivery. I'll reply again in a week or two with my findings.
Coach: I've been listening to my ECD-1 DAC for over a month now and am happy with the purchase. I thought the 2900 as a cd player using its analogue outs was very underwhelming. My opinion is it was designed as a DVD player first and made it a universal player as a secondary goal. The Burr-Brown DACs in it are supposedly pretty good, but for whatever reason the end result wasn't that great, thatÂ’s another reason why they were are popular choice for modders. Anyway, back to the question. Yes, to me the expense of adding an external DAC was well worth it. The music sounds much better and the high frequency digital glare (if that is what it was) disappeared. I also think my pre-amp liked the fact I was now feeding it by its balanced inputs.