Denon 2803 vs 3803

Hello-

I'm trying to decide betwn the two. I would use mostly for music, with some HT. Other than wattage, is there a great difference (noticeable) betwn the two? Would it be wiser to get the 2803 and a separate amp later? Thanks
okii

Showing 2 responses by ryder

Although separates are superior, I would agree with Mborner that current receivers have improved tremendously over the years. One fine example is the Denon AVR-5803 and although it may not be comparable to the best separates out there but it comes quite close at a fraction of the cost.
Okay maybe I'm slightly off with my statement of the Denon coming close at a "fraction of the cost".

The main point that I was trying to put through is that top-of-the-line receivers have improved tremendously and offer almost comparable(if not better) performance compared to good separates. I used to have the idea that receivers are crap when it comes to sound quality in both HT and music and have always disregarded them since my main objective is getting the stereo part right. That was about 7 years ago when I owned the Yamaha DSP-990. The Yamaha was my first introduction to HT as well as my stereo rig. Since my main priority has always been music, I got rid of it and started to build my system slowly throughout the years from the modest Arcam Alpha 10 and several other amps before I ended up with the Plinius SA-100Mk3 today. Although I would like to have the best HT but the relatively high cost have deterred me from owning separates(still with the old school theory that receivers suck).

Not until I've listened to the Denon AVR-5803. This unit really changed my perception of the quality of today's receivers. I'm very much with Mborner and his write-up tells it all, although discriminating critics would beg to differ.

Just my 2 cents.