Denon 103r ????

I have made some improvement to my 103r, but am still getting tonal imbalance with this cartridge.
It's too bright and edgy on some recordings!
At times it sounds incredible, excellent imaging and sound stage.
What do I do though to tame down the brightness. Change the tracking force a bit or tracking angle, change the loading, impedence or capacitance. Add more tonearm bearing fluid or remove?
pedrillo

Showing 14 responses by pedrillo

Just thought I would post: I got the 103r to sing!!
Maybe it needed to break in?
Maybe I am losing my hearing huh?
It does sound amazing.
I should mention I switched the phono stage to the newly arrived K & K. And that made a difference for sure!!
I thank you all very much!!
I heed your advice and will post my future changes.
Thank you again for putting up with my questions, I hope I can offer good advice in return some day.
But for now all I can contribute is some silly humor.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?hbest&971920306&openmine&zzPedrillo&4&5#Pedrillo
Hdm Pauly(from earlier post as well) Gadfly thanks for the suggestions. I plan on getting the wood body, and will try to change the resistance in the phono. Reason for posting, was in hope of finding an immediate solution.
Thanks all.
Just thought I would add some observations on this matter.
Some times the 103r sounds great really does!
BUT, I have realized: I don't know how good it can get till I hear it better.
Thank you Johnnyb53 and all for contributing.
I really feel as though I am in good company.
Not only sincere, passionate but intelligent as well.
I think vinyl setup and appreciation should be a prerequisite to adulthood.
I do have a unique situation e.g. custom turntable modified tonearm and suspended speakers.
I am so curious as to where will I be in ten years, though I don't want to skip the journey.
I want to learn from experience but am not looking to do it alone just to prove something hence the posts here.
I don't mind giving up what knowledge I have relative to music playback or health as that is my first passion.
And I feel fortunate to be among those willing to share as well. Therefore again I extend my thanks to all.
I still welcome the passionate responses, it tells me how strongly one believes in what they are writing.
Ok, So now what do I do????
I can purchase another cartridge or make this one work. Funny thing as I was writing this response, I had 3 cornered hat(everest) on my table playing. I heard some remarkbly life-like orchestra in my room through the infamous 103r. Go figuree. The two things I changed today was I went from my heavily modified EAR 834p to my JLTI and the vta. I lifted the arm up.
Am I insane? Don't answer the last question only the preceding ones please.
I am thinking my next move will be to get a step up transformer, any comments?
Also I haven't gotten around to changing the resistors inside the EAR just yet. Feel like that should be done with experienced hands.
Since I just received the K&K and am still tweeking the denon 103r I am only saying with limited time, that the K&K sounds sweeter, projects the music forward a bit in between the speakers, but also has excellent soundstage I am hearing things well beyond the back wall, it is more inviting so- it makes me want to stay longer and continue listening, it also sounds a bit softer in treble range in a way but yet still reveals details in the treble range, though I could also have said that it some how chops off at the extremes(high) but not sure if that's what it is doing- I mean it's pleasant but it makes me yearn a bit for that shimmering sound but maybe that's just an emotional thing and a hint wanting more or spoiledness from my end.
Oh and at the other end the bass is absolutely beautiful, it is full sounding and keys are distinguishable and no cut off of low frequencies as far as I can see for now.
In the end I have to say that it works for me with the denon 103r and of course everything downstream which is to me lucky that I happen to have the right things in the right places.
I will be picking up other cartridges and tonearms as finances allow, then I will know if the K&K is the top dog in this wide price range of under $2500.
I really should mention too that I haven't even begun to compare the speaker wires(have 4 to choose from) and interconnects(don't have much choice now) just yet.
Mingles,
Glad to see you're happy!
As I am too, I can't believe how good this cartridge is, I REALLY think I done.
Except for line conditioner I will not be buying anything for a long long long long long time. Well maybe one other thing the 103r by Zu.
Mingles,
I left the K & K on 100r setting and it sounds excellent. If you are considering the K & K I would encourage it, it is an incredible phono. I stopped looking for a phono stage and may not start searching for a new phono for a very long time!!
The 103r is an over achiever for sure. Can't believe what it is doing. Just incredible sound coming out of my system now. How do I describe it? Organic, pleasant, lively, 3-dimensional, crisp, and ....... nice. Why would I change now?
The 103r is for real. I am wondering what will trump my 103r when I upgrade, boy that will take a bite out of my wallet.
Still most highly recommend the 103r, but consider tweaking the arm as that worked for me.
Ken,
I am still new to this hobby, but I will try to describe in words as best as I can what I am hearing.
Basically I am hearing into the recording as though I am right there where the musicians recorded. I hear the air so to speak, or the space that the recording took place at.
The percussions especially sound life-like. I get that sound of the stick hitting the skin of the drum sounding real clear and fast that whack you get when its live. The reason I am so enthusiastic is I rarely hear that in a stereo system! I think my tweaks to the tonearm may contribute to that nice sound I am hearing, but I am only guessing. I will eventually get a second arm and another 103r and compare. The second arm will be the 12" vpi arm.
Any suggestions. I am by no means claiming any technical excellence here, just experimenting, hoping some day to better understand the mechanics of turntables arms and cartridges.
I'm sorry if my description fell short of expectation, I think after more time in this hobby will make me better at conveying in words what I am hearing.
Kenyonbm,
The tweaks can be seen in my virtual system posted here.
Take a look at the tonearm, you will see a straw and a tiny canister. Inside each one is leadshot and some wire and tiny nails. Wire and nails is in there to resonate and then the leadshot dampens it. Not sure if that is really happening but I do know the added weight helps the cartridge since it is low comlpiance.
Hope this helps.
Again this is an amazing cartridge, looking forward to my next upgrade(cartridge).