Denon 103r ????

I have made some improvement to my 103r, but am still getting tonal imbalance with this cartridge.
It's too bright and edgy on some recordings!
At times it sounds incredible, excellent imaging and sound stage.
What do I do though to tame down the brightness. Change the tracking force a bit or tracking angle, change the loading, impedence or capacitance. Add more tonearm bearing fluid or remove?
pedrillo

Showing 1 response by johnnyb53

One thing I've noticed with this thread is that the discussion wanders from the Denon 103r to the basic 103 to the Zu103 and the Magic Diamond.

The original post was about the 103r and the tonal imbalance the poster was experiencing, especially excessive brightness and edginess.

Although the 103 and 103r are very similar, there are differences enough that what causes or cures harshness in the 103r may not apply to the 103. The first place to look would be load matching. Many LOMC aficionados agree that a purpose-wired transformer is a better-sounding solution than simply plugging into a higher gain "MC" preamp input. The 103r has far fewer windings and a lower internal impedance than a 103, and would most likely benefit from a transformer constructed to take this into account. The lower impedance may need a little higher capacitance to tone down the top end.

The second thing worth looking at is VTA. The higher the tonearm pivot relative to the record surface, the more forward, sibilant, and edgy the presentation. You can mellow out the sound by lowering the tonearm, perhaps to just a bit below dead level.

Thirdly, Pedrillo's turntable is extremely mass-loaded, to the tune of 400 lbs or so. Perhaps he should remove some weight and see if this lets the music bloom and breathe a bit more.

There are enough variables in this situation specific to Pedrillo's installation and the unique electrical characteristics of the 103r that go beyond broadly branding the 103 series "overrated" or not taking a closer look at Pedrillo's turntable and arm setup.