Denon 103R or 304?

I have been presented with an opportunity to purchase either a DL-103R or (for $30 more) a DL-304. Either will be mounted on a tweaked RB300 tonearm. I welcome all suggestions and let it be known that this will be my first MC experience.

I have done two evenings worth of research on both cartridges and according to all the data the differences between the two aren't huge. I am leaning towards the 304 however.

Thanks
maktheknife

Showing 1 response by hdm

The differences are pretty huge actually. I believe they are at totally different ends of the compliance spectrum. The 103R is going to work better on a high mass arm and the 304 is going to work better on a low mass arm. The Rega is more of a medium mass arm which you cannot turn in to a low mass arm. Some tweaking, however, might allow you to slightly increase the mass on the RB300, so, in my opinion, you would be better off with the 103R. You might want to check or post at the Vinyl Asylum at audioasylum.com to see if there are users of the 103R or 103 there with the RB300. A lot of 103/103R users report good results with medium mass tonearms (I am one of them), but I've also just been experimenting with increasing the mass of my Premiere FT3 with the 103R in the past few days with promising results.