Denon 103 R low compliance with RB 300

Need some help. I was told the cartridge Denon 103 or 103 R has a compliance too low (5) to go with the medium mass RB 300. Could a heavier counterweight (Kerry F2 Ti) solve that? Or I could choose the higher compliance(12)Denon 103D. Is it still available and where? Anybody knows?
body5

Showing 3 responses by twl

Body5, here is the link to the thread.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1032024188&read&keyw&zzstrange=tonearm=tweak

(Tried to make it a "clickable link" but, apparently the markup tags are not working right now)

It is a long thread, but all the info on how to make it and install it is contained therein.
This is an invention of mine, based on some previously known facts about effective mass and cartridge matching.
I used to sell these things, but it got to the point where it was just too time consuming for the small amount of money involved.
You can DIY it for a dollar or two, and it will be a nice complement to your Rega or OL Silver arm when you use low compliance to mid-compliance cartridges. Do not use it with high compliance cartridges, or mismatch could occur.
The 103R will work with an RB300, but the effective mass of the arm is a bit lower than would be best for the 103R. None of the heavy counterweights will solve this problem. The DL103D is discontinued, and you probably will not easily find one of those.

The way that alot of Audiogoners have overcome this problem, is with the DIY HiFi tonearm mod. It matches the Rega and OL arms to the low compliance cartridges quite well, is cheap, and easy to make and install.
The 103D was a better match for the stock RB600.

The Rega arms need some additional mass for the low compliance of the 103 or 103R. The HiFi mod is what is needed to make them work better with the low compliance Denons.

PS - A headshell weight is not what is needed.