Denafrips Terminator Plus vs T+A DAC 200

I currently own the T+A DAC 8 DSD and it's great! But I'd like to upgrade, move the T+A to my headphone rig and place either a T+A DAC 200 or Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC in my main rig. Anybody had a chance to compare these 2 DACs? I know the prices of the T+A and the T+ are close. Unfortunately, there are no used T+A DAC 200's to be found in the USA, but I can find a couple of T+ (used) for almost $2K less. If you've had a chance to hear both of these DAC's I'd appreciate knowing how they stack up to each other? I'm not interested in any other brands. I've narrowed my wish list to just these 2 DACs. 

mewsickbuff

Showing 3 responses by thyname

I have no experience with Denafrips Terminator series, but I can tell you the T+A 200 series are really good. And since you are familiar with the T+A house sound, you will know what to expect. I have the similar T+A HA 200 (headphone amp + DAC combo) and the T+A MP 200 (streamer / transport) on my headphones rig.

I understand this is not exactly what you asked, but I am chiming in nonetheless. I suspect the Terminator will sound different than the T+A given its completely different topology than the T+A DACs. Whether better or worse to your ears, I don’t know

One thing my customers and I appreciate about the T+A DAC 200 is that it has a total of six DAC filters that can span a very laid, back organic sound, to a very naturally bit perfect sound to being very punchy and detail-oriented. It’s almost like having six DACs in one and enables the DAC to better adapt with the system synergy. 

Good point. And spot on! My T+A HA 200 has the same filters. And unlike similar filters with other DACs I have owned, each filter is audibly different than the others with the T+A. Very easy to hear the difference between the filters, and use what one prefers. The last two filters (out of the six) are NOS filters (no over sampling), which HQ Player users love.

I had a feeling you would go for Denafrips. Which is totally fine. I get that. We all look for trying new things, different sound, different experiences. It is part of the journey. Which you should enjoy in full. And gain new experiences. Best of luck @mewsickbuff , I hope you enjoy the Teminator, and you come back here with your impressions once you get it. Congratulations on the new purchase!