Denafrips Terminator Plus vs T+A DAC 200

I currently own the T+A DAC 8 DSD and it's great! But I'd like to upgrade, move the T+A to my headphone rig and place either a T+A DAC 200 or Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC in my main rig. Anybody had a chance to compare these 2 DACs? I know the prices of the T+A and the T+ are close. Unfortunately, there are no used T+A DAC 200's to be found in the USA, but I can find a couple of T+ (used) for almost $2K less. If you've had a chance to hear both of these DAC's I'd appreciate knowing how they stack up to each other? I'm not interested in any other brands. I've narrowed my wish list to just these 2 DACs. 

mewsickbuff

Showing 4 responses by bhvf

I use HQPlayer with the DAC200. This also opens open your streaming options and setup. Quite a few streamer manufacturers allow you to use their product as a Network Audio Adaptor (NAA). This means you're pretty much using the streamer for it's (hopefully well designed) USB output. You can run HQPlayer on a computer in another room and it feeds the NAA with the music. I was looking at Lampizator, Denafrips, Bricasti, Rockna and a few others.  I never got to try Denafrips or Lampizator so I'm unfortunately no help there, but I'm happy with the DAC200 for both the sound and the functionality/flexibility. 

@nitewulf Even though I've had both in my house, I had a different amp when I tried the Rockna.  My thoughts at the time of the Rockna were that it was slightly less warm than the Bricasti but warmer than quite a few other DACs. The Bricasti was similar to my Teac NT-505, which I really like. Comparing the T+A to the Teac, I hear more openness and resolution with the T+A, in a good way.  I like a warmer presentation normally. The T+A is not warm per se, but it's resolution appeals to me in a way that other, more detailed DACs, don't. I would buy the Bricasti all day over the Rockna but haven't compared the Bricasti directly to the T+A so it's tough to give a definitive answer. I'll be comparing them soon. If you haven't already, read through @verdantaudio's thread about DACs. It's very informative. 

@nitewulf I had an MHDT Balanced Pagoda, which is an R2R, for a while too. I really liked the sound of it but thought the build quality was a little weak. It also wouldn't work using my Lumin U1 Mini as a volume control while all other DACs did. I would give the Bricasti M3 a try if you could. Where are are you located? New Jersey has a dealer for many of the brands, including Rockna and Bricasti. If you're only looking used, be patient, buy well and you can probably break even.

@markmuse 

I have not. I still might but I've been told I'd need to step up to the M12 to compete. My taste doesn't always coincide with more expensive is better so I'm not 100% convinced. I'll probably go visit the dealer soon and bring my DAC and listen to a handful of different ones.  I still occasionally listen to my Teac NT-505 and realize I could easily still live with it and love it. The Bricasti was so similar to me, just slightly more refined.