Demos - To Charge a Fee or to Not Charge a Fee?

One common dealer complaint is that customers sometimes use them to audition equipment only to later purchase it elsewhere.

How much of that is true is not known but it must happen. Such is the nature of some folk.

Therefore, how about abandoning the time honoured practice of free demonstrations (also shared by the car industry) and start charging a fee?

Would $10 an hour be sufficient? 

Surely, even in quiet part of a quiet day it must cost the dealer considerably more than that to provide the facilities and staff to facilitate a satisfactory demonstration.

I don't know how others may feel, but I'd be more than happy to pay for the service.
cd318

Here’s a question for the gang:

A dealer has a product you want to audition, say speakers.

You generally work on the principle that if you audition gear at the dealers premises, you’d buy from the dealer, not go somewhere else.
BUT...

You have a really crappy audition experience at the dealer.

We’ve all had some really bad audio salesmen experiences right?

Here’s a couple of mine:

Local dealer had a speaker line I was very interested in possibly purchasing. I showed up, system was essentially already set up so no effort from the salesmen. Big store, virtually no other customers there (I purposely went at a dead time). As I’m listening I note that the salesmen are just standing about, not having to do anything as there aren’t any other customers. Yet about 20 minutes in to my audition tracks, once of the salesman walks over, turns down my music, and starts giving me the hard sell - "well, what’s it going to be? What is your decision? Are you walking out with these today?" No more listening, it was just pushy, pushy "buy now or not, your listening is over."

I left furious not having been able to get a good idea of whether I wanted the speaker or not.

Another:

Ended up in a small room listening to some speakers. Second-In-Command audio salesman has accompanied me and proceeds to talk ENDLESSLY about the speakers and everything else as I’m trying to listen. I can’t concentrate on a thing. I’m hoping he’s going to stop, but he never does. Eventually I ask as politely as possible "I wonder if it’s possible I could listen alone just for a little bit. I find it helps me concentrate best."

The guy left in a huff. Clearly went to tell his boss. The Boss comes in with a sort of "So you think you can mess with us?" smirk, pulls up a chair and sits directly behind me, making occaisional remarks. Clearly a passive agressive move that ruined the experience.

So...whadya do? Do you still feel you still "owe" such places your business if you end up wanting the item you heard?

Do you reward crappy salesmen or bad experiences with your business?

Can someone please explain on what basis my post would have been removed, where I asked a question that included a description of some poor dealer experiences (without even naming the dealers?).

It violated precisely none of the guidelines for posting on the forum.

Maybe I’m being thick at the moment, but I can’t even imagine the justification for the removal.

prof
Can someone please explain on what basis my post would have been removed ...
Yes. The moderators can answer your question. Reach out to them with the Contact Us link.

Ah, I included a profanity in the post. My bad.

ETA:  It's been reposted with the bad word removed.  Cheers.

prof
You have a really crappy audition experience at the dealer ... salesman walks over, turns down my music, and starts giving me the hard sell - "well, what’s it going to be? What is your decision? Are you walking out with these today?" No more listening, it was just pushy ... Another: ... audio salesman has accompanied me and proceeds to talk ENDLESSLY about the speakers and everything else as I’m trying to listen. I can’t concentrate on a thing. ... The guy left in a huff ... The Boss comes in with a sort of "So you think you can mess with us?" smirk, pulls up a chair and sits directly behind me, making occaisional remarks. Clearly a passive agressive ...
So...whadya do? Do you still feel you still "owe" such places your business if you end up wanting the item you heard?
Do you reward crappy salesmen or bad experiences with your business?
I don't think I owe anybody my business. Rather, they have to earn it and once they do, I'm a pretty loyal customer. I walk out of stores (audio or otherwise) where I'm not treated well.