Demo'd a few sets of speakers over the past 2 weeks...

Today I heard the Magnapan 1.7s at my local Hi-Fi. I was interested in hearing the new Maggie LRS, but this is the closest they had. It was good but didn't wow me. Big sound stage, but didn't have the punch and dynamics and bass extension I want. Don't think I will pursue the Maggies any further...
I also heard the KEF LS50s. I think they sounded more Dynamic than the Maggies, big sound stage and good imaging for such a small speaker. Great speaker for what it is, but again, didn't wow me.
These speakers were connected to an anthem tube amp and a rogue audio tube pre-amp with built in phono stage (same electronics as with the Maggies). I think this could be a nice pair for a computer desk for near field listening, but just a tad bright for me. Again fantastic for what they are.
Last week demo'd the Golden Ear Reference Towers (about 10K for the pair) and McIntosh electronics in the neighborhood of 15k total. I found it to be musical, but something seemed off tonally couldn't put my finger on it. I was left wanting more.
Lastly, I demo'd the Klipch RP600M as those had been getting rave reviews (folks saying the brightness had been tamed in this model). I still found the treble too bright and fatiguing so I will not be pursuing these any further either. Too bad, as I was hyping these up in my head.

I'll keep looking, but the current set in my living room are still my favorites (Vandersteen 2Cs from 1989). These speakers can still wow me, but want to see if I can do better for not a high cost.
Next, I would like to hear a pair of 3A sigs and Tekton DI. The later my be extremely hard to get a demo without buying them and doing an in-home trial.
bstatmeister
Hello bstatmeister,

A great combination to consider would be a pair of Magnepan 1.7i combined with an Audio Kinesis Swarm distributed bass array system to supply the missing bass impact and dynamics down to 20 Hz.  Here's an Absolute Sound review of the Swarm bass system:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

I use the Swarm system with a pair of older Magnepan 2.7QR speakers and it's a very high quality combination.  All Magnepans are fast and detailed speakers that are excellent from the midrange on up but lack the same quality bass impact and dynamics with the exceptions of their most expensive and top models.  
     The $2,800 Swarm system consists of four 1' wide x1' deep x 2' high 4 ohm 44lb subs with a single 10" long-throw aluminum driver in each and a 1Kwatt class AB amp/control unit that powers them all and controls the xover frequency, volume and phase of all 4 as a group.  
     This bass system is the first one I've ever used that's fast, agile and detailed enough to match these same qualities the Magnepans provide on the midrange and treble frequencies to seamlessly integrate as a unified whole that's capable of reproducing the entire audible frequency spectrum just like the larger and more expensive Magnepan 3.7 and 20.7 models do. 
     You'll get the sound of the best Magnepans for a total cost well under $5K.

Tim

After buying a Peachtree Nova 300  I wanted to upgrade from my B&W 585s and ordered the LS50s from the factory and tried them for three weeks. Sent them back way too bright and not enough umphf for me. I'm thinking Tekton DI myself and even Peachtree recommends as a great match with clean, full Fidelity sound.
You maybe able to get by with a single sub for the 1.7i , I also can't imagine going with a smaller Maggie will satisfy. I hate the idea of spending more on subs than on my main speakers.
johnto: "I hate the idea of spending more on subs than on my main speakers."

Hello johnto,

I believe you're referring to combining a pair of the $2,000 Magnepan 1.7is with the $2,800 4-sub Audio Kinesis Swarm DBA system. For a total system price of $4,800, I'm not aware of any pair of speakers by themselves that would approach this level of sound quality.
      I'm also unaware of any single sub, regardless of size or price, that would provide the accurate, detailed, fast, smooth and natural bass that matches and seamlessly integrates with these same qualities the 1.7i's provide on frequencies from 40 Hz to 22KHz.  Virtually any single sub will sound slow, lagging and disconnected by comparison.  
     The Swarm's distributed bass array concept and the bass accuracy, detail, smoothness, power, dynamics and speed resulting from four relatively small (1'x1'x2') subs with 10"drivers are the primary reasons for the exceptionally good bass reproduction.
     Any concerns about spending more on this sub system than one's main speakers quickly vanishes once the quality of the bass is experienced.  
     The fact that the Swarm bass system will also provide this exceptional bass performance with virtually any pair of main speakers and in virtually any room also means you'll never need another sub or bass system....Ever!   This officially makes the AK Swarm bass system a bona fide bargain.

Tim
Those 5a's look mighty tempting, even though likely a great deal at $7500 they are still above my pay grade. They have always been on my speaker bucket list and I hope to hear them one day. I have a feeling I would be blown away by them.

My understanding is that the 3a sigs with a pair 2wqs get you most of the way there to the 5a's, and if I try hard enough I may be able to get that whole package for under 3k (used) not necessarily all at once and that's fine.

Other speakers I hope to demo not mentioned are the Ohm Walsh's 2000's or 3000's. but besides the Vandy 3as with the Subs It seems like the DI's could hit all my notes as far as what I want in a speaker, so I am itching to hear those.