demagnitizing CD s?

I'm ready to try demagnitizing my CD's with a Radio Shack
bulk tape eraser. Anyone have any ideas as to why this improves the sound, if indeed it does? Also, what is the procedure?
Do you just pass the magnet over one, or both sides of the CD? How long, how far away, which side? Thanks for your help.
hornby

Showing 1 response by dan2112

Albert I think there are two types of Mag Lev trains in existence today (as far as I know) – one uses attractive magnetic forces and the other uses repulsive magnetic forces. Keep in mind that electricity and magnetism are forever linked together through Ampere's Law and Maxwell’s equations. Where there is current there is a magnetic field. Trains that use opposite magnetic fields are called electrodynamic trains. Trains that use attractive magnetic fields are called electromagnetic trains. So in the case of aluminum a current is passed through the aluminum and creates a magnetic field. A similar opposite current is passed through the rail and an opposing magnetic field is created. The two fields repel one another and the train is lifted. No back to the topic… If there is any charge on the CD (say like static) and you rotate that through a magnetic (say from internal power supply) field you have created current and a weak (I think opposing – not sure) magnetic field. If the laser pickup (wiring) is at all susceptible to induced EMI then I could see more "hash" in the system. Remember just rotating some wire through a strong magnetic field creates a generator I wonder if a CD behaves as a capacitor seeing how it is a conductor wrapped by a dielectric. It would be nice if the plastic were conductive so the platter could ground the CD as is plays - no charge - no voltage - no voltage no current – no current no magnetic field. Sorry for my EE rambling …. Cheers, Dan