Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
You can find a video on Youtube where a person cleans a record with Windex and a paper towel....you can imagine the flames!! May I suggest recording a steam cleaning, explained and nit views of the process. This might start the revolution!!! I just bought my steamer today and found some water for $0.99/gal which is from pure natural sources from my island, distilled, R/O, carbon filtered and few more things more...The catch is, it's from my local Walgreens in PR.

Jahaira
I cleaned 3 records today. One was a NF++ Pete, Paul and Mary from 1968, the worst one in my collection. It is so bad, that you just heard tics, tacs and pops so loud that you can't resist. After steaming it and do my thing, I can said, it's listenable now. The noise is still there, but softer and the music and voices are much better. I also did a Jackie Terrason and Ruben Blades records. Both sound great with much less noise and can play them at a higher volume. I can said the noise is non-offensive and you can deal with them. Once you steam a record, they look like new albuns.

It will take a bit more practice to master the steaming technic but itsn't that complicated neither. A tool I use and reccomend to you guys is to buy a Lazy Susan from WalMart, at the kitchen accesories section. They are about 13-14" circunference and made out of wood. Just turn then, take out the screw ( with care not to loose the small bearings). Then drill a bigger hole, enough to use a new threaded screw that can be used with the record hole. Set everything again and use a round cap/wood/top whatever do the trick, and clamp it. This will protect your record label, your hands and you could turn/spin the record around for scrubbing and steaming. If you have an extra rubber mat around use it between the record and susan. This makes everything much easier.
I might be showing my stupidity but surely steam shouldn't carry any of the solids out of the steamer - they should stay in the steam just as a kettle in a hard water area furs up?
I too purchased a Perfection steam cleaner at Walgreens and got great results. One day I wanted to clean a record and the Perfection was not turned on, but our steam iron was sitting on the ironing board still hot, so I added distilled water to it and used the steam setting.

Same result! Very fine mist of steam, very clean record.

This good news for me because it's one less piece of stuff to keep in my small workshop. Also the iron shuts itself off after 10 minutes or so.

Kirk
the statement is somewhat true. in a perfect distillation, the mineral stay in the water, but in the steamer there will be small droplets of water entrained in the steam. Hence the cleaner the water, the cleaner the steam. In commercial applications in making high quality steam, boiler manufacters recommend demineralized/RO/ or better water quality to make the steam