Dedicated line questions...

Did a search, but can’t come up with a good answer. I am considering the install of a dedicated line. The general consensus is a 20amp circuit. How does this rectify with a full system designed around 15amp components/cords. I already have PS audio receptacles, and have upgraded/cleaned up all the other outlets on the current circuit, but it is still noisy. Would installing a 20amp circuit require a refit of gear or just 15-20 amp power cords? I don’t run big mono’s and really only need one line. Would a dedicated 15 suffice?  Yeah, fairly clueless in this realm.
geof3

Showing 6 responses by cal3713

I'd be curious to hear what a benchmark smps does. They strongly argue that their switching supply is actually better than a linear one. Like you I have my doubts, but would love to learn otherwise. Who wants to devote an entire line to switching supplies??
One last thought regarding my motivation for 3 lines. I had a switching supply for my minidsp subwoofer crossover. When I unplugged it from the front end circuit I could tell it was injecting some jaw clenching distortion so I moved it over to a standard outlet/circuit. The next time I flipped the dining room light I heard it in the stereo just as I had before installing the isolated circuit. Bridging those circuits even through an ancillary power supply killed the isolation. Just something to keep in mind...
I used to be able to hear feedback in my stereo when I turned on lights in the dining room. An independent line ended that.  They do matter, and not just for peace of mind.  I actually ran two to my system which lets me keep my amps plugged directly into the wall while isolating the front end on a different line. If you can afford the wire cost, I'd recommend having the electrical pull the second line too. The added work is minimal and you might find that you want it later down the line. 

Honestly I wish I had three, one for the amps, one for the front end, and a third for anything with switching supplies. The further down the road you go, the more all of these power supply issues matter. In my system it's usually manifested as a greater ability to relax into the music. I clench my jaw when exposed to high frequency distortion and have ceramic tweeters that are more than happy to pass that information along.
@erik_squires I do have a 5v ifi ww for a toslink to spdif converter I don't use anymore, I'll let you know if I find the occasion to test it.
@erik_squires I just pulled out my ifi 5v wall wort power supply to power an spdif jitter reducer. Initially had it plugged into my bp3.5 ultra balanced power conditioner with the rest of my digital and soon noticed some hash in the system while listening to my main source. Moved it to the power strip that's on a standard house line (w tv, modem, etc.) and things cleaned up a bit.

Could be an issue with balanced power, or poor isolation within the conditioner, but noticeable whatever the reason.