Dedicated 20 amp lines/should i use a sub panel

Happy New Year to all!!

I am about to install 3 - 20 amp dedicated lines for my stereo. I still have space in my 200 amp main panel but was wondering if their is any benefit to installing a 60 amp sub panel for the 3 audio circuits , also as i am using 10 gauge wire and its not the easiest to manipulate should i hook up the bare wire to the receptacles looped around the screws or inserted in the holes or should i use spade connection's. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris 
spinner1

Showing 1 response by gs5556

How far away is the main panel from your listening room? If it’s more than 50 feet then it pays to put in a subpanel since a branch circuit of that distance will have a high voltage drop (3 volts with #12 and 1.8 volts with #10 at a 15-amp peak draw).

If distance is not an issue, use 10/3 romex because the wires are spiraled and that reduces common mode noise. Cut the bare grounding conductor and use the red wire for ground (tape it green where exposed, of course). Also, use the clamps under the screw of the receptacle for #10 wire instead of looping it around the screw. And use 10/3 from the subpanel to the receptacle also.