Dealers and exaggerated treble

I've been thinking about some negative experiences I've had at dealers over the past few years. I don't mean the dealer's were unpleasant, they were not. I mean that I heard bad sound.

In a lot of those cases, the treble was exaggerated, or harsh to me.

I'm wondering, have you ever heard really bad treble at a dealer, but then you hear the speakers elsewhere and they seem fine?
erik_squires
Perhaps one of the upstream components inverted phase.  
does not matter where the phase was inverted. It should be immediately obvious unless you have bad hearing or it was deliberate.
I noticed sizzly treble in at least two models I auditioned.  One (Paradigm) seems to be tipped-up out of the box, per Stereophile measurements. The other I'm not sure about. The dealer's listening room had a live end (brick wall) at the speaker end of the room.  Didn't seem like a good choice.
I think people have different sensitivity to treble curves. So you may be quite different from a dealer in that regard and there is nothing "wrong." Also, dealers usually carry different speaker lines for different ears, so unless they are all bright i doubt there is an issue.

I would actually trust good dealers in LA moreso than any internet forum. Several of them are *excellent* setup guys. One took 12 hours to setup my friends Alexxs. But most audiophiles enjoy crappy setup sound at home instead to save a few $ vs using someone who has 20-30 years of experience in all types of rooms.

True, there can be an inverted phase issue from time to time - but that's an outlier not the norm. By golly guys...

@testpilot  wrote...Perhaps one of the upstream components inverted phase.  
@kenjit wrote...does not matter where the phase was inverted. It should be immediately obvious unless you have bad hearing or it was deliberate.
Sure it does.  A lot of pre-amps invert phase, therefore, many users will wire their speakers out of phase in an attempt to restore correct phase.  Also, please direct me to a link that describes the recording industry's standard for proper phase when recording.  You have a 50/50 chance of getting the correct phase due to the lack of an industry phase standard.
@testpilot  I am talking about one channel being out of phase with the other.