dcs Delius vs dcs Elgarplus DAC?

I just bought a dcs delius dac fed by a dcs purcell sampler playing music from an iMac being used as a server. Holy schmoly - this combo is a superb, organic, smooth, highly satisfying digital rig. I mean totally non-fatiguing, no digital glare/harshness or grain.

I know the elgar plus dac is supposed to be better. I want to know how much better than the delius dac? I should be satisfied for an eternity with the highly pleasing sonics. I am tempted to just say to heck with it and enjoy the great music. However, I just have to know - is the elgar plus an incremental or a big step up from the delius? If it is a big step up, the sound has to be stunningly good....
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark

Showing 2 responses by jon2020

I also had the Delius plus Purcell digital front end some time ago. It's interesting you just bought yours. I assume you bought them in the secondary market at prices lower than when new(they weren't cheap) because in the digital calendar, they would be considered past generation. If you would like to upgrade, the Elgar is not the way. Look for the newer stuff from dCS such as the Puccini. I traded in my old dCS gear for an MBL player, then went on to the EMM Labs CDSA SE and finally settled back into dCS gear for the Puccini with U-clock. The Scarlatti is way too expensive for me but I find the Puccini a gigantic step up from the EMM Labs, the MBL and the Delius/Purcell in that order of performance.
Fully agree. Always enjoy what you have got on hand. orget the Elgar and everything else for now.