DBX SF-150s, should I grab these?

Have the opportunity to pick up a pair of these for $25, they were originally $2,000 speakers back in the 90's. Has anyone heard them and what can you say about them? Wondering if it's worth me grabbing them or I should move on.

Photos and description of the item show the speakers in very good condition, the surrounds are good and there are no issues.
Thanks, appreciate any advice.

DBX is a company from Newton, MA.

mangist

Showing 1 response by elliottbnewcombjr

I still use my wonderful DBX-SF100's every day. They were designed to create a very wide stereo image for home theater use. They do a great job of it. Sit off center, either side, you hear both channels well, and the center comes from the center. Left speaker faces right side more directly, so right person hears it well. Right faces left more. However, you are closer to the left, they closer to the right, so it makes a wide stable stereo image. Additional tweeters on two other sides disperse/reflect the highs everywhere, like the old Bose 901's do.

If you have an application where you want several people to listen together, hearing the center dialog, and the helicopter from the left, guns from the right, these puppies do it. They are terrific.

I would ask seller to remove the grille, and send phohtos of the cones/surrounds to make sure they are not dried out, cracked, ...