DBX Expander

I have recently acquired a Teac reel to reel and although it's a great machine, soundwise, it just doesn't measure up to CD or LP's in my system. I have a chance to purchase a DBX sound expander that I'm told greatly enhances the sound of the tape. I have no experience with this box at all. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this does?
markus1299

Showing 3 responses by markus1299

Thanks for all of your responses!! this is a wonderful site that I learn from each time I visit.

I have had the A-4010S reel to reel completely reconditioned, cleaned and aligned by a knowledgeable professional and I believe it sounds as new but...I'm sorry to say, just not as good as my CD or LP rigs. I've considered coming off the playback heads with RCA's to a Bottlehead tube amp but I'm told by a sound guy that a 3BX is the way to go and actually will give me better sound. Thing is he has the 3BX for sale and it has been totally refurbed but he wants $ 700 I think this is steep????
Thoughts???

Markus1299
Thanks guys for all the very valuable responses. I have had my A4010 reel to reel completely refurbed and my 3BX series 111 is on it's way so it should be an interesting experience through my Cary Slp05. I'll let ya know what I hear or don't hear
Mar
wOULD YOU BE WILLING TO SELL YOUR UNIT???? i'M CURIOUS TO EXPERIMENT WITH MY NEWLY RENOVATED REEL TO REEL AND A GOOD DBX