DBX Expander

I have recently acquired a Teac reel to reel and although it's a great machine, soundwise, it just doesn't measure up to CD or LP's in my system. I have a chance to purchase a DBX sound expander that I'm told greatly enhances the sound of the tape. I have no experience with this box at all. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this does?
markus1299

Showing 1 response by jb0194

I've not heard the DBX, but agree with an r2r tuneup. I recently bought a very lightly used Revox cassette deck with a boogered up $4.00 balance trim pot and am incurring additional expenses for parts and the attendant labor charge for new pinch rollers, capstan shaft resurfacing, align/clean/lube. The heads are out of spec and will also be replaced. At $260, the heads parts cost accounts for about half the total outlay. For comparison, my speaker cables cost more than this tuneup.

A certified Revox tech is doing the work.

The worth of a properly reconditioned tape source is up to you, but if you're serious about using and holding on to a classic machine, you ought to consider the expenditure. The experienced service shops for tape gear will likely become nearly extinct in our lifetime...