David Berning Quadrature Z or Vitus SS-101

I've been using a Vitus SS-101 for some time and it's certainly a fantastic amp. I've been wanting to try a great tube amp that's not sloppy in the bass and i've negotiated the purchase of a David Berning Qaudrature Z. I will a/b test on my system and sell the one that loses the shootout. Any thoughts on what's the better amp?
128x128davidhyman

Showing 4 responses by nicknick

Hi guys, I'm considering to get the DB Quadrature Z for my Maggie 1.7i. I know it's probably an overkill for the small Maggies but the 1.7i are the biggest panels that can work in my small 180 s.q. room, I started with 1.6 then traded up to 3.6 which simply over-energized the room, so switched back to the smaller 1.7i.
Anyway my biggest hesitation is the DB amps' reliability because if anything goes wrong I doubt anyone here in Hong Kong know how to fix it. Can any long term user share his experience living with the Quadrature Z?? Thanks a bunch!!
Thx lancelock for the assuring feedback on DB amps' reliability, & the suggestion on LTA. Will surely look into that direction also. I'm currently driving the Maggies with a Plinius SA reference, & want to experiment with a OTL tube amp but fear their infamous quirkiness.
I took the plunge & bought the Quadrature Zs which arrived yesterday. They sure sound more transparent, airy & vivid than my Plinius. Of course the Maggies need to be repositioned slightly to compensate for the difference in presentation.  Once I get to know the new system better, will probably retain the SA-Ref to drive the Maggie DWM bass panel solely. My wife can't understand why I have so many "boxes" in the hi fi system ^ ^.
Wow, what an honor to meet the great man himself!!
I knew the Quad Zs were good by reading all the rave reviews, but didn't expect them to be THAT good. They make the pseudo ribbons on my 1.7i sound like real ribbons, & the bass slam is at on par with, if not better than my Plinius SA-Ref. Just wish I had a bigger room to fully appreciate their full potential.