Dartzeel 108

Hello,

Right now i’m feeling the urge to upgrade my system again. Currently I have a Mark Levinson 390s directly link to GamuT D200 driving JM lab micro utopia (be). My listening room is moderately small (about 20 m2).
I do like the system, it’s very fast, punchy, with a huge sound stage. But something is missing, it’s not refined. Reading the reviews, I think I’ll have everything that gamut delivers plus a sweet refined sound.

Have anyone tried the combo jmlab micro utopia be with dartzeel ? (neither the less I’ll listen to this combo second of feb).

I have to confess that I have some kind of fetish for amps, that is , is always the first audio gear that I upgrade.

Moving to DartZeel will be the first step of my upgrade, then speakers to finish with source. So, as I’m waiting to have budget to move everything up, I’ll have to live possibly with dartzeel micro utopia and 390s.

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo Carvalho
vaipe

Showing 1 response by mmike84

Vaipe-

I owned a 390s. Eventually I found a Wadia I liked better that also had volume control. Then I finally took the plunge and bought an Ayre K-1xe preamp to compliment my Ayre amp. Wow was I blown away by the sonic improvement. To this day it was the single biggest improvement I ever made. Everything got clearer and more defined. The soundstage widened more than I thought possible, and the dimensionality went from what I thought was 3-D to what really is 3-D (AKA more refined). I've since come to believe the preamp is the single most important component after speakers.

The Dartzeel is an excellent amp but you're still missing a very important ingredient. Adding a better amp is an inferior upgrade choice IMHO.

Heck don't take my word for it. Seek out a good deal on a used preamp and try it. If you decide I'm full of it resell it and upgrade your amp.