Dartzeel 108 amp driving Wilson Watt/Puppy 8

Hi, have anyone heard the above system combination.
My WP8 are currently driven by Krell 700cx. Thinking of changing amp to a Dartzeel or Audio Research Ref series. Have heard the Dartzeel(not with WP8) and was impressed by its superb clarity and portrayal of harmonic texture. Only reservation - 100w/c may not have control over WP8s' bass.
arwp

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

The Watt Puppies 8 were reviewed in HIFICritic. Colloms found the Reference 110 " worked remarkably well" . The speakers are more efficient than might be thought, 160 watts giving 109 db in a typical room. It would seem that 110 watts would be sufficient. In a later test of the 110 Colloms found that " the System 8's particular quality of natural spaciousness and precise depth plane perspective was perfectly illuminated by the 110." And "the near holographic vocal focus, natural presence and clear articulation of the Wilson amp seems to find a matching partner in this amp." His opinion carries some weight as he has used various versions of the speaker as a reference since it has been introduced. So I think there would be no concern it you chose to use it.
Looking at my post I see that I said Wilson amp when I meant Wilson speaker and forgot the passage that most directly answers your question. "One might have predicted that the tough low frequency loading might have stressed an all valve amplifier , but we found the bass quite upbeat within sensible loudness limits. It is nicely percussive, if in a mildly valve-like softened manner, with notably clean tune playing for acoustic bass instruments-classy bass by any standard." His tests on the speaker showed low levels of distortion at ordinary listening levels and beyond, 102 db at 40 Hz produced only 1.5% of second harmonic and just .2% of third.