Darn it, I scratched my Roland Now what

For some stupid reason I was cleaning one of the shelves of my stero rack and a I accidently hit the top of the shelf with my Roland gear causing a nice scratch on the top plate. ( black ) Thanfully it is not to the metal but more of a good rub mark. This is ( was ) an expensive piece of equipment. Any ideas on how I could possibly remove this dreadful mark.
Depends on how good you want it to look and how much you want to pay. You can get it perfect by repainting it--but it doesn't sound that bad. I would suggest going to the local Auto Parts store. Get some rubbing compound, designed to remove similar type of scratches from cars. Use it on a hidden area first (like a back lower corner) to make sure it doesn't dull the finish. Once you've done the rubbing compound there is usually either a finishing compound or even a wax based compound that will brighten it up. Again--try it on an inconspicuous area first. I've had worse scratches that went to the metal--fortunately, this stuff happens all the time with cars--so the auto industry has already solved these problems for us.
You may be able to buy an new top plate, Rowland may have extra inventory.
The response by Abstract7 was good -- you could also use some jeweler's rouge as a buffing compound (the kind used on buffing wheels). Rub some rouge on a soft, damp cloth and apply. When the scratch is reduced to an acceptable point, some liquid car polish on the entire top plate should complete the job.
jeff rowland's products are anodized rather than painted. in my experience, products designed to deal with painted surfaces do not work very well on anodized surfaces and can, in fact, cause greater harm than good. i've had the same problems with scratches/scuffs; i've been able to correct them, i'm sorry to say, only by obtaining replacement parts. can't hurt to try abstact7's solution, of course, but do test on the underside of your piece first. good luck. i hate it when that happens! -kelly
Cover it with a VPI brick or a Shakti stone.
Gare what a bummer: sorry to hear about that, but it happens to most of us sooner or later. If you must try a compound: get POLISHING compound not rubbing compound. Some times a black permanent marker (Sharpie ultra fine tip) or a Marks-a-lot can be used to to fine-touchup small injuries on black surfaces
Dude, you could just chill out. that's my advice. no offense at all because we've all been there but sometimes we all need to chill about this stuff. and sometimes we need someone to remind us. in this case it's me. chill, bruthah.
I've never tried this, but you might be able to use some of that bluing material used on the metal surfaces of firearms. Check with your local gun shop. If the color is close enough, you might be able to apply a tiny amount with a very fine brush just to hide the mark. I've used a regular old black marker before with excellent results. Good luck.
Here's a trick that I've found to work better than black markers for touching up scratches on a matte black painted surface. It does, however, require use of printmakers etching or lithography ink. You can find it in well stocked art supply stores. Dilute the ink to a viscous consistency with mineral spirits & apply with a small touch up brush appropriate to the width of the scratch. I found it matches the finish much better than marker, which is a good touch up for some anodized finishes. Will.
Just contact Jeff and see what he can do for you. I've been there and his customer service and willingness to assist his customers in anyway possible is second to none.