...and, don’t forget "Kiln House". Kirwan played on that album too which had some rockin’ tunes! :-)
Terrific songwriter and guitar player.  In some ways, he was the most influential member of Fleetwood Mac, they really broadened their approach from straight up blues when he joined for Then Play On.  Mick Fleetwood credits him for introducing harmony into the band's language.

i gather he was always a difficult personality, but it's still sad to hear news like this.
agreed. "then play on" is still blues-derived, tho you can hear them veering into sort of cosmic folk/psychedelia. to me, the next one, "kiln house" is the real transition from the peter green straight blues to their eventual AOR/pop guise--kirwan's "jewel eyed judy" and "tell me" are classics, tho i also dig jeremy spencer's rockabilly stuff.
Excellent comments Marty on Kirwin's contributions to this band. It was a magical time, certainly not having the commercial success of the Nicks/Buckingham period but offering a major contribution to the body of work of this special band from their inception. And time goes by.