Dan Wright "Absolute Truth" mod for SCD-1 / 777es

Has anyone gone for this full blown mod? Has anyone heard it? Can any one comment? it seems very interesting but at about $3,400 for the mods a little more info and feedback seems appropriate.

any thoughts?

i'd also like to hear from anybody who can suggest a cheaper mod with the biggest bang for the dollar regarding the redbook playback on the sony scd-1 and scd777es.

thanks

btw
you can check the mod out at www.modwright.com then click 'products.'
kublakhan

Showing 2 responses by bigkidz

I am also thinking about the Kern mod for my Sony 777ES. I have decided to try the SuperclockII and transport mod just because the link noted above said that it was the biggest bang for the buck. I have heard that the full blown tube output mod by Dan is great but I did not want to have any holes drilled into my unit figuring that there will be new combo SACD/CD players comig out in a year or two from the other well know companies. I think the Sony with a mod is a good value if you want a combo player if not, then get a better redbook player.

I compared my stock Sony to the same model with a Jerry Ozment mod. The mod is basically an Audio Logic DAC that is connected to the digital output on the Sony bypassing the Sony's internal output design. Alan Wright has a similiar mod design. Well, the mod was clearly better than my stock Sony from the first notes, making my Sony sound like the music was coming from a cardboard tube. That is the best way that I know to describe it to you. The person who had the Sony with the mod is Rcprince another Agon member who also uses a Forsell Mk.IV transport and dCS Purcell, with an Audio Logic DAC. That set up bettered the Sony with the mod on redbook playback but it was not that dramitic to my ears but it was better. Russ uses the Sony mainly for SACD playback.

So it seems like you have to spend quite a bit of money to beat a Sony with a mod as far as my ears could tell.

Hope this is helpful, Happy Listening.
Thanhn387 I am considering the two mods that will run under $1000 with shipping the unit back and forth to Richard Kern.

I am a bang for the buck type of guy and know the Sony mod will provide an improvement after hearing my friends but I did not want to go with a $3000 mod figuring I would keep it simple to see what comes out over the next copule of years and also I want to upgrade my speakers. If the Sony mod gives me 60-70% of the sound of the higher priced CDPs, I will be happy for now and the cost will be much less.