Dahlquist DQ10

New user, first post. I don't consider myself an audiophile...haha.  I have the opportunity to purchase a set of DQ 10's @ $375 for the pair.  Been on the 'Google' researching but figured I'd just get some new info here.  Is this a good deal?  They have been re-foamed but no tweaking of the electronics.  Seller says they have not been used much.  Will my Yamaha RX V677  7.1 SS receiver have sufficient power for these if used in 2 channel mode?  I find conflicting opinions about this.  I remember these when they first came out in the 70's and the reviews were fantastic.  Just wonder if they still compare to today's speakers.  Thanks!
128x128sejodiren
I would say buy them. If they are in good working condition, even without any exotic upgrades they will be enjoyable. They are by no means reference level, but they are fun, and the price is right.  
Thanks!  I find it interesting that the stock caps would still be good but newer ones put in during a mod may be bad.  Do you think my receiver has the power to fully get the best sound?  It has pre-outs and the option of getting a power amp might be interesting.  Have always wanted one.

There are some classic speaker designs that are a must own sometime along your audio journey. The DQ-10 is certainly one of them.

Sometimes older parts sound much better than newer simply "because" of their age and how they were maintained over the years.

good luck

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

No experience with your receiver but according to the specs with 90wpc it should have adequate power depending on your room size and listening volume. Sound quality could be improved if you add a better amp later on. Let us now how you make out.
I have a really nice pair of DQ-10’s that I spent 4 months restoring. They came out absolutely gorgeous and sound great.

I did replace a few of the caps mainly because they, more or less, crumbled when I touched them.

Your receiver, IMHO, is barely the minimum required to drive these. They are a little inefficient and need more power. I agree that a larger amp would be beneficial.

There is a lot of help online if you want to restore/repair or just get more info on them.

Again, IMHO, they still hold their own against a lot of the competition. Marvelous speakers when driven well and correctly setup.

Good luck and let us know what you do...