Dahlquist DQ-1LP crossover owners

Hello,

I am interested in a Dahlquist crossover that is for sale. The owner is not very familiar with it. Does anyone know if if it gives the 6dB/octave bass response boost that dipole subs need.

Bass from dipoles naturally rolls off. So a dipole bass driver has to be EQed up (6 dB/ octave) as frequency goes down.

Please advise.

Best regards,
f456gt

Showing 3 responses by f456gt

Thanks chaps for the info about the Dahlquist.

I was planning to buy one to use with a pair of Gradient W-63 OB clones using two 12" Peerless 830500 drivers per side, it is very similar to the prototype built by Sigfried Linkwitz.

The problem with the crossover is that the sub needs a 6dB/octave boost because it is a dipole and I would guess most off-the-shelf solutions don't offer this.

The subs will be connected to my pair of QUAD ESL-63. I would also like to use my spare QUAD 405-2 for the subs.

I considered the Rythmik OB kit using two GR SW12-8FR and one A370PEQ Servo amplifier) but the dual driver configuration costs $1,200.
I am retired, with a fixed income and the price is a little bit stiff.

The price of the Gradient project would cost $252 for the drivers, plus the price for a crossover. I will build the enclosure myself, I have plenty of baltic plywood left from other projects.

Best regards,

Horacio

bdp24, one more question, I know about Nelson Pass but I know nothing about the First Watt B4. Can it be used with the pair of dual drivers dipoles that I want to build?

Best regards,

Horacio
Hi bdp24,

I have just received an email from a First Watt dealer.

He said that the B-4 is a two-way crossover. If you want to have three-way active crossover system, you will need two B-4’s and connect them in a cascading fashion. A “6 dB boost” of sorts can be achieved by attenuating the top-end(s) and having a linestage preamp with more gain (if needed) or power amps with more sensitive inputs (if needed).

The B-4 and set up is complex. I agree with Nelson Pass who has said that with active crossover a person “needs to know where they are, where they are going, and when they’ve arrived.” Crossovers with millions of combinations are not for everyone. I agree with him after reading the owners manual.

I will go with the Rythmik OB.

Happy Memorial weekend.

Cheers.