DAC: Scott Nixon vs. Eastern Electric

Proud owner of an Eastern Electric DAC; will appreciate any advice/suggestions on comparison to dedicated USB DAC, particularily Scott Nixon, for streaming classical music. Thanks in advance for your contibution.
jgb1166

Showing 3 responses by jgb1166

Thanks for your response; isn't Taiwan part of the US? Would you rate the Scott Nixon as equal to, or better than, the Eastern Electric in treating classical music?
Fot those interested, I'm awaiting delivery of a Scott Nixon UFO; I'll post my comparison to the EE, using my Space Tech/Yamaha changer combo as a reference. Go tubes!
As promissed, my comparison of the Eastern Electric Minidac versus Scott Nixon's "UFO"= When I first plugged in the Scott Nixon, I was most unhappy: Muddy, muffled, no differenitiation. "Bummer". Then I belatedly remembered the fellow who sold it to me had mentioned it was just back from Mr. Nixon, where it had been overhauled and reconditioned. "Burn-in" (Have never had a new DAC, but recalled many hours are needed before one can expect proper performance).

Lo and behold, after two days it began to blossom and now, at five, it is starting to bloom. Warm, rich, stately sound with great depth and endless base. maybe not quite the definition I would hope for, but I am optimistic.

The EE is about everything you could want in a DAC with its multiple inputs, tube in/out and Phase switching: With the tube turned on (And in my case the Phase switch engaged) it is fully detailed, bright and full-range. Interestingly, it sounds very close to my Space Tech through the coaxial input, while the USB gives a sharper, more digital picture.

What it comes down to is that the Scott Nixon promisses a warmer, more liquid sound (NOS?) with more depth of placement, while the EE provides more definition and a mathematical purity, but exhibits a sharp-cut, digital sound even with the tube turned on that became tiring for me, but only after hours of listening (Overdose?).

The EE without the tube turned on is very good; with the tube it is excellent, cystalline across the sound spectrum. The Scott Nixon is rich and smooth and deep; it is becoming more definitive every day. What it comes down to is preference: French Roast straight or Mocha Java with cream and sugar. "You pays your money and you makes your choice".