DAC or Upgrade To MX150 From D2V??

My setup includes Nautilus 802's, a pair of Mcintosh MC303's and an Anthem D2V. When I listen to 2 channel audio from my Sonos (all ripped lossless of course) in Stereo, the audio is lackluster on the Anthem. I had a much better sounding preamp before so I know how good it can be, but alas I sold it and now have to deal with what I have, and trust me, I've tried everything. What do you think, should I purchase a good quality DAC and run the two channel via the (purportedly very good) analog direct on my D2V, or break down and get the Mcintosh MX150? Appreciate everyone's thoughts!
allen_bh

Showing 1 response by rgwrjs

I recently purchased the Anthem D2v, and essentially a new system, for my family room system. This is a third system, used by my wife and daughter and so I had space and aesthetic considerations. I have the new Levinson 533 three channel amp powering three Paradigm Reference W5 on wall speakers (good WAF), a JL 110 sub, and Sonos, Directv HD DVR, and Oppo 83 as sources. In my dedicated theater room, I use the Meridian 861v4 with custom horn speakers, tube amps and same sources. The difference between the two is large in favor of the Meridian, and for the same price, or lower, I wish I had purchased a used Meridian 861 rather than the Anthem. The dealer, who also sold me the Meridian in a different store, came out and performed the ARC setup in the family room. I have used Sonos as a source in all of my systems and the Anthem is woefully short compare to the other two. The Sonos through a quality DAC is awesome and I rarely use a CD player any more (I use an EMM lab DAC in my separate 2 channel system, the built-in Meridian 861 DAC in the theater system, and the built -in Anthem DAC in the family room.) I have also tried toslink vs. Coaxial digital between the Sonos and the Anthem and there is no discernible audio difference. Perhaps I need to try a separate DAC for the Anthem, increasing the cost. BTW, IMO the value of the Anthem is it's video capability. I am very impressed and surprised that it has made my plasma picture much better, through all sources. I also like the ease of use of the Anthem. However, I am underwhelmed with its audio capability.

Hope this helps.

Reg