DAC or CD PLAYER?...again

I have a Manley Stingray II amp and a new pair of Merlin TSM-XMr's coming soon. I was getting close to buying a Rega Apollo CD player, new or used. Now I'm wondering if I should use my 250 dollar Oppo CD player as a transport and add something like a Dacmagic. Then I can also run a laptop with music files and such.

But the bottom line is whether the Oppo and a 400-600 dollar DAC will be as good as the Rega Apollo or other good CD player in that range.

After liking the cheaper Oppo over a modded Jolida CDP, I'm not ready to pull out any big bucks for a CD player, but I'd like something fairly good out of the gate while I break the new system in.

Thoughts?

Rob
robbob

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I used to own the Apollo.  One negative is that it refused to read many discs that worked just fine on other players.  It was one of the first CDPs that would store the first 20 seconds or so in a buffer before deciding if it liked it, and it’s very picky, imo.
   My recommendation is always to plunk down for DAC if you already have a transport, which you do.  You will get more bang for the sonic buck and if you start using other digital sources, such as a streamer, you have more versatility