DAC for Rega Planet 2000

I have a Rega Planet 2000 and wonder what DAC would go best with it. I would like to pay about $500 or less used. I am looking for more dynamic range and better detail. I would like to tighten up the bass as well.

This all started when a friend loaned me his Meridian 508/24 which has incredible bass and detail, can I approach this sort of performance with the Rega?

thank you
128x128philjolet

Showing 1 response by loosevogtf603

To any of you who claim that adding a dac to the Planet 2000 will not offer improvements, I'm really not sure how you can say this. I have just recently auditioned the Planet 2000 stand-alone vs. a very inexpensive universal disc player (i mean all out cheap player) along with an MSB link DAC III with Nelson upgrade, upsampling and power base...and let me tell you, the difference was night and day. The MSB setup was FAAAARRR superior.

I'm not saying that the MSB link dac is the best there is, but certainly a modest cd player can be improved upon significantly with the addition of an external DAC, moreso than buying a new all in one unit at double the cost of the dac.